Sunday, February 4, 2007

Blog #2

A problem that I am continuing to have in my paper has to do with the length of quotations. I forgot how to do a block quotation if you have a bunch of sentences, and I need to know how many sentences make up a block quotation. A quote I used in my paper is as follows:

"And his being blind bothered me. My idea of blindness came from the movies. In the movies, the blind moved slowly and never laughed. Sometimes they were led by seeing-eye dogs. A blind man in my house was not something I looked forward to" (Carver 387).

Is this quote long enough to be considered a "block quotation"? If it is, how do you do a block quotation in your paper?

2 comments:

Rachel said...

hey alison! i think when you're typing a block quote, you're supposed to indent the entire quote in the paragraph but not put quotaion marks around it. i'm not sure how many sentences make up a block quote.

Jacob said...

You should only use a block quote like that when it's absolutely nessicarly. In this paper you should write from the assumption that your reader has already read the stories so a block quote doesn't seem nessicary to me.